Translate

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

CARRYING ON...

it's Wednesday night.  i'm just out of the shower, having cleaned myself and shaved my head and face.  i've eaten dinner and dessert quite some time ago.  i'm about to get my things together and head back to the Boardman St. E's to stay with my child and her child, on it's first night in the human world.  i could neglect to do this, and justifiably so.  but since i am currently at home, there is no need to pretend i can't update, and so i do.

two days worth, i guess.  yesterday wasn't bad at all, except for knowing that i was going to end up sleep deprived today.  i was up, prayed and meditated and medicated and fed and watered and out the door in typical fashion. i had taken it upon myself to do a pre-trip check for a woman on the job who is currently doing someone else's job, as they're on vacation.  the woman i'm tending to is one of the few who were relatively kind to me from the beginning, so i am cool with helping her out.  the day went well enough, all the pick-ups were as they should have been, and i ended up at my parent's for my break.  by that point i'd already learned that my child was going to the hospital to have her labor induced, and so i had to rearrange thought more than action, because everything was in the evening and was still in the 'able to alter plans' state.

i went to the hospital, where her mother already was, and i sat and actually ended up nodding off there.  the child's father showed up and sat next to her all night.  it occurs to me that, should they actually learn to communicate and be responsive rather than reactionary, they might make a good couple.  but isn't that true of so much of the world?  in the morning i went to my car, got my work clothes, changed in the ER bathroom and made my way across town, and that would be this morning.

i was tired, no mistake.  i found a cup of coffee outside Syd's room and that helped some, and i had some breakfast from BK, but by the end of the first runs my ass was on the ground.  i did say my prayer that morning, in my car in the ER parking lot, but i didn't bring my books.  my plan at that point was to go to my parent's house, crash for a couple hours and then go to my meeting, and then get some coffee, get the workday done and head back to the hospital.  the best laid plans, however...

Syd sent word through her mother that she wanted me, so i gathered the pieces of myself and forwent my nap and just went back to the hospital. i sat with Syd until she mellowed and nodded, went to get Chris and I some lunch (and Joe a sandwich) and then sat a bit longer before returning to work.  when i got back, i was in a severe sleep deficit.  the world had grown soft around the edges and i was not sure i was dealing in a comprehensive reality anymore.  i got the run done, and i got us home safely.  i didn't even try, even though i was receiving word the birth was happening.  i came home, got myself something from the food cart, ate and laid it down.  mostly resting, but some nodding as well.  i had to; i am beat up.  and now, i have groomed so i can just dress and head back to the hospital for another overnight.  not going to leave as early, and not going to try to muscle through the day either.  i'm going to sleep as much as i can while i'm there and make my way to work to do the day.

i've no stats on the child yet, when i do i will post them sure thing.  but i have a lot of gratitude.  my biggest worry was that Syd would be okay, and she is. i am grateful to Jehovah for taking care of all of them, and for taking care of me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment